martes, 5 de mayo de 2015

How to use a Deredeo dreadnought in your Space Wolves army

Well so you've heard all the buzz about the great new Deredeo dreadnought. In case you haven't, here's the link: ForgeWorld Deredeo pattern dreadnought.

This walking artillery platform does pack some punch, as you can find out in the Experimental Rules released by forgeworld. Then again, if you've read it's experimental rules and you're reading this blog also, it is probable that you feel justifiably slighted by the following quote:

"A Deredeo Pattern Dreadnought is a Heavy Support choice in a Codex: Space Marines, Codex: Blood Angels or a Codex: Dark Angels detachment."

Basically, anybody on power armor not named Space Wolves can have access to this fun new toy.



Well, let me tell you how to bypass that caveat in this, otherwise, impressive kit.
Disclaimer: I am not a competitive player nor claim to be competent in playing. At this point of my return to the hobby I'm mostly involved with constructing my army and theorizing about possible lists. As I'm really not willing to play with unpainted miniatures, I have yet to field this army and any ideas that come from it!
Also, let me proclaim before anyone decides to rage on me that I'm well aware about the distrust the sky warriors of Fenris have towards MK IV pattern and earlier variant dreadnoughts, the fluffy justification from Forgeworld to explain the lack of walker options for us Space Wolf players.

I just fail to buy it. Whether it is a game balancing choice or simply due to the fact that Bjorn is modelled on a mk V Dreadnought and that's a retrofitted fluff justification as to why is he not interred in a contemptor pattern Dreadnought or a mk IV even.

Don't tell me that the a critically injured Long Fang, veteran of a hundred conflicts, old honor guard of his Jarl (before he had to retire from the wolf guard due to his advanced age) and, does not deserve to be exalted into an avatar of long range destruction.

Finally, I just fell in love with the model. Something about those massive Anvilus autocannons made me keep thinking about Gugnir, the legendary spear of Odin. I knew I'd have to convert it to my army. But how could I ensure I'd be able to field a model in which I would have invested loads of money, time and passion?

Here comes the punchline:

Add in a small allied detachment to your main Space Wolves primary detachment composed of:

  • 65 points, HQ: Techmarine counts as Iron Priest
  • 99 points, Troops: 4x scouts with sniper rifles and camo cloacks, 1x scout sergeant veteran with combi-melta and melta bombs count as wolf scouts and a wolf guard represented by the veteran sergeant
  • 220 points, Heavy Support: Deredeo Dreadnought with Anvilus autocannon and Aiolos missile launcher

For 384 points you get a solid HQ choice that you can attach to any of your mechanized squads to add a power fist equivalent (servo arm) and the possibility to repair their vehicle plus a cheap objective secured unit coming from reserves to do some late game objective capture/contests. Add then in in your amazingly "wolfyfied" Deredeo dreadnought, which will pretty much make short work of air and land threats alike.

Feel free to also add in a Land Speeder Storm with a multi melta to have an additional ObSec unit / suicide tank destroyer.


Here's my take on how it would end looking:


Gugnir, spear of the all-father, captured while firing his weapon systems.


P.S.: That one in the back is the new amazing model of Bjorn the Fell-handed. Will post some pictures of him as soon as I'm done painting him. All that is left is some detail work so it should be quite soon!

To finish this post, if you're not a space wolf player and doubt if your space wolf opponent is using this list build out of fluffiness or to smash your face, just take a look at his Deredeo and only accept to play him if it's adequately converted (or if you like a challenge, this build plus 1250 points of thurderwolf cavalry can get pretty nasty).

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario